- 2 tbs dairy free buttery spread
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbs finely chopped garlic
- 3 quarts mussels, beards removed, cleaned and scrubbed
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
Heat the dairy free buttery spread in a large saucepan until melted.
Add the onions, shallots and garlic and cook briefly, until tender but do not brown.
Add the mussels, salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, and white wine.
Cover tightly and bring to a boil.
Cook for about 5 minutes, shaking to redistribute the mussels.
Cook until all the mussels are opened.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to a serving bowl.
Continue cooking the sauce for a minute, remove bay leaf and the thyme sprigs.
Stir in the mustard with a wire whisk while heating but do not boil.
Spoon equal portions of the sauce over the mussels and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve immediately with crusty bread.